Our History
Prior to 1861 all the Baptist churches in this district were under a mother church at Nictaux. So our own history really goes back to 1765 when Major Nathaniel Parker came to Nova Scotia. Major Parker was a veteran of Wolfe’s army and he settled on a site near the present Nictaux church. In 1799 he and his wife journeyed through the woods to Horton to be baptized…the first persons in Annapolis County to be baptized by immersion.

In 1805 the Nictaux church began meeting and the first pastor was Rev. Thomas Handley Chipman. in 1861 the work become so arduous that it was decided to divide the field. In the fall of that year the Nicatux church commissioned 108 of its members to join with 100 others from the Port George church to form Pine Grove Baptist Church.

In 1890 it was decided to construct a new building to better fit the needs of the growing ministry. A piece of land was purchased on the corner of Commercial and Church Streets and construction began. The new building was dedicated on March 18, 1894 and worship and Christian ministries as Middleton Baptist Church have been based there now for almost 150 years.

In 1946 a disastrous fire destroyed part of the building which was then rebuilt and the mortgage paid off by the church’s centennial anniversary in 1961. Renovations to the present building over the next three decades included construction of classrooms in the basement, building the sanctuary balcony, enlarging the choir loft, and enclosing the front entrance.

In 1994 a new addition was added to the building. Our facilities were nearly doubled by adding the addition. Included in the addition are a regulation size gymnasium/auditorium, a beautiful kitchen, ladies and mens washrooms, and large coat room, and four offices. This is all easily accessed by a stairway or wheel chair lift. Also, in 1999, the vestry area in the main building was completely gutted, insulated, rewired, and refinished providing a much larger parlour, main floor library, a large bright nursery, wheelchair accessible washroom, seven large light classrooms, and a prayer room.

Almost 150 years ago, the vision for ministry, the dedication of time and talent, and the sacrificial giving of our Christian forebears led to a ministry and to facilities for ministry which would enable the Light of Christ to shine in Middleton, transforming the darkness of lost souls for generations to come. We have always built with an eye on Tomorrow, for the church that will continue to worship and witness and win men and women, young people and children for Christ until our Lord comes.